Alcohol Ink Coasters
It is such fun using Alcohol ink to create unique art
What you require:
- Alcohol Ink
- 91% Rubbing Alcohol – available at Dis-Chem
- Alcohol Ink Paper
- Craft Resin
- Mixing cup and Sticks for mixing your resin
- Art Knife
How did we do it
Place your Alcohol Ink Sticker paper on a flat surface. We used some sticky tape to hold down the paper and keep the paper in place whilst working.
- Use your Pipettes and add some drops of clear 91% rubbing alcohol to your paper. This allows the ink to flow over your paper. Add the clear alcohol where you would like to place your colour ink.
- Now add 3-4 drops of colour ink on top of the clear alcohol.
- Slowly blow your ink using your straw. The straw allows you to have more control. You can add more clear alcohol should you want to move around the ink more.
- For our first colour we used Teal Alcohol Ink but we also added Passion purple to bring the art alive.
- It might look like a mess to you now, but we will soon transform it into something truly special. Allow your alcohol ink to fully dry before moving onto the next step.
- Remove the tape that is holding down your alcohol ink paper. Crap your coasters and your art knife.
- Remove the alcohol ink sticker paper backing, exposing the sticker.
- Place the paper upside down on a cutting mat, having the art at the bottom. Careful not to scratch the alcohol ink by moving the paper around to much.
- Place your coasters on top of your sticker paper and make sure to firmly press it down to create a good bond.
- Use your art knife to trim away any access paper around your coasters.
- Place your coasters on a level surface. You will required 15ml mixed resin per coaster.
- Mix your resin at 1:1 ration by volume.
- Slowly mix your resin until no more streaks are visible.
- Pour some mixed resin onto your coaster and spread it to the edges, be careful not to scratch the alcohol ink in the process.
- Add enough resin to form a nice dome on your coaster. Pop all the surface bubbles with your lighter and cover your work to protect it from dust.
- Allow it to cure for 8-12 hours for it to be tough dry.
- A full 7 day curing is recommended before using it as a coaster.