What is Pearl Ex Powder?
Pearl Ex Powder is a high quality mica powder, made specifically for the arts and craft industry. They come in many vibrant colours, to add that something special to your resin project.
“Mica is a natural stone mineral with shiny flakes. When mica is ground into a powder, you get mica powder. Mica powders are therefore sparkly, sort of like very fine glitter. They’re used to give a metallic or shimmery pearl-like effect.”
How do I use Pearl Ex Powder with Resin?
We will only be focusing on how you can use them in your resin projects.
You can use your Pearl Ex powder to colour your resin by mixing it into your resin before pouring. You can see by the above photos that it does give you a amazing shimmer finish.
*PearlEx Powder is a very strong pigment and you do not need a lot to achieve the colour you desire – Only a knife point of powder for this project is more than enough. Rule of thumb is not to use more than 10% pigment in your resin mixture.
- Mix your Craft Resin as per instructions.
- Always make sure your working surface is level.
- For this project we wanted to create a unique colour by mixing pigments together.
- We added a drop of black PoxyPigment to the PearlEx Powder to create a darker colour. Don’t be scared to play around with different colours, pigments and techniques. Resin art should be used as an expression.
- Fill your mould to the top.
- If you have any surface bubbles, you can use a lighter to pop these but be careful not to burn your mould. (For more bubble elimination techniques view the following link HERE).
- You can unmould your coaster after 12 hours and finally uncover your magical creation.
You can also paint the Pearl Ex powder into your silicone mould before you add the resin. Make sure to remove the access powder before you pour your resin into the moulds. This will give you a matt but sparkle finish on your resin.
For a full guide on how we created the coasters view our Project Guide HERE for an easy to follow step buy step guide.